Turkey condemns Nice knife attack

53

ANKARA: Despite tensions with France, Turkey has condemned the Nice knife attack in which three people were killed on Thursday.

In a statement issued by the Turkish foreign ministry, Turkey condoled with the heirs of those killed in the knife attack in Nice.

The foreign ministry also condemned the attack in which three people including a woman were killed.

Earlier on Thursday morning, an attacker beheaded a woman with a knife after killing two other people at a church, police said.

Mayor Christian Estrosi said on his Twitter account that the incident had occurred at or near the Notre Dame church in Nice.

He said that the police had arrested the attacker, who was later taken to a hospital as he got injured during the arrest.

Police confirmed that three people were dead and several injured in the attack.

The motive behind the knife attack is not immediately clear. Police said that it is not clear whether the attack is linked to the blasphemous caricatures.