KARACHI: The Pakistani bread or chapati, also known as roti, is a staple in almost every Pakistani household. Alternatively spelled chapatti or chappati, this traditional flatbread from the subcontinent is enriched with nutrients that are so good for your health.
One of the most well-known health benefits of eating roti is its ability to aid weight loss and diabetes management, a report says.
Chapatis are made using a soft dough comprising whole wheat flour (or atta), salt and water, and can actually benefit your health in many ways. Atta or flour can also be made from legumes and chickpeas, which are a gluten-free alternative to wheat flour. The good thing about eating roti is that it is low in calories but high in nutrients, including fibre known to be beneficial for digestive health. Below are some amazing health benefits of eating the Indian bread.
Health Benefits of Chapati
- Compared to other foods like rice, chapati contains a fewer number of calories (only about 70 calories), making them a better choice especially for those trying to lose weight. Since the Indian bread is high in fibre, protein and other essential nutrients, it can keep you satiated for a longer period of time and reduce your overall calorie intake. This makes chapati an excellent choice for weight loss.
- Roti is also a good source of energy as it comes packed full of good carbs and fats. Therefore, eating whole wheat chapati can offer sustained energy levels for longer.
- Chapati can help maintain haemoglobin levels in the body due to its iron content. Adding chapatis to your daily meal may be a healthy way to maintain normal haemoglobin levels.
- As mentioned above, chapatis are a great food for your digestive health because of high fibre content. A diet high in fibre can help prevent or lower the risk of constipation and other digestive issues. Even if you don’t have a problem with indigestion, your body needs fibre to stay healthy.
- Chapatis, especially made from chickpea flour, are a great choice for people with diabetes as they can keep blood sugar levels lower than foods made with white or whole wheat flour. Chickpea flour is a nutritious and low-GI food, which has a gradual effect on blood sugar.
- Chapatis are also good for your skin as they contain zinc, an essential mineral that contributes to good health – particularly your skin health. Zinc, which helps maintain skin health, can fight viruses and bacteria. It is believed that adding chapatis to one’s daily diet can help maintain the natural glow of the skin.
- Additionally, chapatis also contain significant amounts of vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin B, Vitamin E, copper, calcium, iodine, manganese, silicon, and potassium, all of which are essential for your body to maintain optimum health.